CCRED delivers high-quality, action-oriented research that will assist in the transformation and development of not only South Africa, but African countries more widely. The Centre’s ambition supports that of the University of Johannesburg’s vision to become an international university of choice, anchored in Africa, dynamically shaping the future.
CCRED is a leading university research group established as a locus of knowledge and information on competition, regulation and economic development. Read more
CONNECT WITH US ON TWITTER @CCRED_uj
The orientation and interests of large firms are at the heart of how countries develop. However, the decisions, strategies and responsiveness of firms to government interventions for industrialisation are poorly understood in the South African context. This study focuses on assessing the impact and effectiveness of government interventions for industrialisation.
IDRP Research Project on Large Firms and System for Regular Tracking of their Strategies and Decisions:
- Food Production and Processing Sector Assessment
- Metals, Machinery and Equipment Sector Assessment
- Remgro Limited Company Assessment
- Top 50 firms on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE)
Involves analysing the barriers to entry and growth of smaller firms, including black industrialists, across the spectrum.
- Key debates in competition, capabilities development and related policies: Drawing the link between barriers to entry and inclusive growth
- The links between competition policy, regulatory policy and trade and industrial policies
Research assesses industries across countries to understand the practical regional development challenges faced.
- The expansion of regional supermarket chains: Implications on suppliers in Botswana and South Africa
- Development of the animal feed to poultry value chain across Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe
- Mining-related national systems of innovation in southern Africa